Would you believe me if I told you that strengthening your voice could lead to greater success in the work field as well as a happy, healthier life?
Whether or not you are interested in pursuing theater professionally is beside the question, vocal training is necessary in ALL aspects of life.
Try to think of a scenario in your daily life in which you speak. Stupid question right? Because you LITERALLY speak every second of every day communicating with person after person whether it be a family member, friend, co-worker, or even the friendly dog you pass on the sidewalk. You are lying if you say that you don’t interact with at least one person every day.
Now ask yourself another question.
Are you communicating with them? No I’m not asking if you’re putting words together and forming complete sentences that they understand and can respond to. I’m asking if you are truly connecting with them on a deeper, more exclusive and personal way.
The answer is you probably aren’t.
It’s not your fault though. You were never given proper instruction and training to be able to do so. You learned how to speak from your parents as a baby and proper grammar in primary school but you were never taught how to properly use your voice.
This beautiful, amazing thing you were gifted with has completely gone to waste because you are not exercising its true potential. Pitch, pronunciation, connection, expression, depth, and volume are all aspects of your voice that are left dormant when you do not access them. (Think if you mastered these!!! You could be the next ADELE!)
But where do you even begin? How can you learn to access these parts of your voice?
Vocal lessons are the most effective way to learn how to properly manage your voice. They offer professional instruction and real world experience that you cannot find anywhere else. If there wasn’t already reason enough to improve your skills here are just a few more reasons you should look into vocal training:
- Builds strength- your range and belt will be much stronger and you will have a wider range of variation when speaking, shouting, or even singing your favorite songs in the shower.
- Feedback and support-having a vocal coach means professional opinion. Your coach will give you honest feedback and be there to help you in any way possible.
- Confidence- people say gaining confidence is their biggest goal. Being able to speak clearly and confidently will push you further in your daily life and professional career.
- Stand out from the crowd- having more knowledge and range within your skill sets gives you an extraordinary ability that most people will never acquire.
- Career enhancement- most people are deathly afraid of public speaking and are not able to perform well under pressure. Employers value the ability to speak well, demand attention, and persuade an audience.
Lets be real for a second. No one pays attention to or likes the guy in the back of the room that whispers under his voice and doesn’t have the confidence to speak up. He is easily forgotten and pushed aside for the more assertive, certain individual at the front of the table. Be that guy (or girl ;). Be the one at the head of the table that isn’t afraid to speak up and share their insight. Take control of your voice and your life.