Comedy Masterclass w/ Darren Gilshenan
A 7 week comedy masterclass for professional working actors.
You don’t need funny bones to get a laugh. This course explores the hidden tools that make comedy work.
The HubStudio is very excited to work with Logie nominated Darren Gilshenan on this extended Comedy Masterclass. Darren is one of the country’s most successful and award winning (Helpmann, Greenroom,) comedy performers. The series will look at all the aspects of great comedic acting, demystifying the art of comedy acting and giving you practical tools to call on to generate laughter.
Through improvisation the class will delve into the mechanics of contrast, extension, exaggeration, obsession, oblivion, rhythm, strategy and timing. The next step will be applying these principals to script.
Throughout this course you will:
- Understand the tools of authentic comedy.
- Gain the skills to be able to access these tools as an actor.
- Apply your understanding of the mechanics of comedy to a script or character.
When: 7x Tuesdays
Dates: 7th May – 18th June 2019
Cost: $425 (10% off for members)
Time: 7pm – 10pm
Venue: 18 City Rd, Chippendale, NSW 2008
Participants: 12 Maximum
*Please arrive at 6.45pm latest for a 7pm start
|1||Tuesday 7th May 2019||7pm – 10pm|
|2||Tuesday 14th May 2019||7pm – 10pm|
|3||Tuesday 21st May 2019||7pm – 10pm|
|4||Tuesday 28th May 2019||7pm – 10pm|
|5||Tuesday 4th June 2019||7pm – 10pm|
|6||Tuesday 11th June 2019||7pm – 10pm|
|7||Tuesday 18th June 2019||7pm – 10pm|
How To Pay & Instalment Option: The easiest way to pay is by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) using the bank details on the invoice (please quote the invoice number in the transfer information), or by simply clicking the ‘pay online’ link also on the invoice (bank fees apply). You will be emailed an invoice upon acceptance into the program. Payment is due no later than the due date stated on the invoice, however if you would like to pay in instalments please call or email the office to arrange the dates and amounts you will pay. Please note full payment of the course is due by the time the course finishes. You can start paying in instalments at anytime upon receipt of the invoice.
About Darren Gilshenan
After graduating from The National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) in ’88, Darren began his career in Musicals before spending ten years with The Bell Shakespeare Company. Sketch comedy followed with three years on Full Frontal, followed by some great TV work; Dossa and Joe (BBC/Granada), the AFI Nominated Chandon Pictures and the Logie nominated Derrick which he wrote and starred in.
Darren returned to the theatre for seven productions with The Sydney Theatre Company before again returning to the small screen for A Moody Christmas and The Moodys, as Uncle Terry, Top of the Lake created by Jane Campion and Gerard Lee, The Elegant Gentleman’s Guide to Knife Fighting, Rake 3, Janet King, The Killing Field, Old School, Devils Playground and recently Maximum Choppage .
Film credits include Women He’s Undressed in which Darren played Orry Kelly in Gillian Armstrong’s documentary drama on the man himself, Save Your Legs, The Outlaw Michael Howe and the AACTA nominated Liebermans in the Sky. Recently Darren returned to the stage with Mother and Son, playing the role of Arthur and will continue in the theatre later this year as Piggsy, in a festival version of Monkey – Journey to the West and Absent Friends by Alan Ayckbourn at the Ensemble Theatre.
Darren’s heartfelt and complex characterisations have led to a great breadth of work across all areas of the industry with acknowledgement from the industry and the public, some of which are included to follow:
- 2013 3rd Annual Equity Ensemble Award Winner: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series for A Moody Christmas
- 2012 Green Room Award Nomination: Best Male Actor for Elling
- 2011 Sydney Theatre Award Nomination: Best Actor in an Independent Production for Fools Island
- Time Out Theatre Award: Best Actor for Fools Island, The White Guard, Loot
- 2009 Sydney Theatre Awards Nomination: Best Actor in a Lead Role for Strange Attractor
- 2007 Sydney Critics Nomination: Best Actor for The Government Inspector
- 2006 Green Room Award Nomination: Best Supporting Actor for Measure for Measure
- 2005 Green Room Award Nomination: Best Male Actor in a Leading Role in Drama for The Servant of Two Masters
- Logie Award Nomination: Most Outstanding Comedy Program for Derrick
- 2004 Helpmann Award: Best Male Actor in a Play for The Servant of Two Masters
- Green Room Award Nomination: Best Supporting Actor for Richard III
Apply For The Course
Please send an expression of interest including your C.V. & headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the below form. Please note the course is by invitation only. If offered your place will only be held once payment is received in full. Failure to do so will forfeit your place on the course.
For more information or queries please don’t hesitate to call on (02) 9212 0522 or alternatively email us on the above address.
For further questions or queries please contact us directly during 10am – 5pm / Monday – Friday on the below details:
- Office: (02) 9212 0522
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 18 City Rd, Chippendale NSW 2008
Our office and studio is located across from Victoria Park and the Broadway Shopping Centre in Sydney’s Chippendale. For best parking and travel options please click here.
The HubStudio prides itself on helping professional actors to facilitate their training journey. If you would like more information about this course, or more importantly which courses would suit you best, then please email or call us to discuss your training goals.